Social media has forever changed the fitness industry – that’s no exaggeration.
Whether it’s motivating millions of people to start exercising every day or creating communities for like-minded athletes and fitness enthusiasts, social media has set the fitness world on fire and made it more accessible than ever. See how our gym software can help you with your fitness marketing campaigns.
It’s no wonder then that social media influencers are hot tickets in the fitness world. With their massive audiences and ability to sway people’s opinions (and dollars), social media influencers can be incredibly powerful allies for business marketing and advertising.
But how do you attract these influencers to promote your business? And how do you leverage their influence to your advantage?
It All Starts with Your Brand
The first step to harnessing the power of social media influencers doesn’t start with them – it starts with you.
To find the right social media influencer for your fitness business, you first need to take a good look at your brand and, most importantly, your audience. Remember: it’s not just about reaching as many people as possible; it’s about reaching as many right people as possible for your business.
Who are your key demographics? What kind of image does your fitness business portray? What kind of message do you want to promote to your target audience?
Once you know your brand and target market exactly, you’ll get a better idea of what kind of social media influencers would work best with your business and whom to approach.
Finding Social Media Influencers
Now that you know your brand image and target market, it’s time to find social media influencers who can help you reach that audience while staying on-brand.
Finding the right influencer may take some work, but your efforts will be worth it if you find collaborators who can provide the value you’re looking for. There are several ways to do this:
- Check your social media. You may already have fans and loyal customers who have massive followers of their own. If you do, use this to your advantage and work with them. You also check the social media channels of your competitors to see if they have any followers or new sources whom you can contact.
- Use hashtags to search. Hashtags are powerful tools for searching targeted content, audiences, and influencers. You can also narrow your search by using hashtags specific to your local area.
- Use keyword research. Understand the words that your target market loves to use and how they search for products or services in your line of business. Use these keywords for searching in various social media channels and search engines.
- Research bloggers. Many successful social media influencers produce blogs and online content that can provide more information about products and services (ex. reviews, testimonials).
- Check industry events. Industry events will almost always have social media influencers around since these occasions allow them to expand their network and meet new people. Take advantage of this to meet influencers in your field.
- Ask around. A good, old-fashioned search within your network of suppliers can help you find the right influencer. Credible influencers will have made a name for themselves already and may already be connected to someone you know.
Choosing the Right Social Media Influencers
At this point, it’s important to know that not every social media influencer is the same. Just because someone has thousands of followers doesn’t mean they’re right for your business.
The key to finding the right social media influencer for your business is evaluating how they match your needs and campaign. You can do this by analysing how your prospect influencers match up to the following factors:
- Audience – Are their followers the key demographic that you want to target?
- Channel – Are they posting content on the channels that your target audience use?
- Voice – Is their style and tone of voice consistent with your branding and business image?
- Content – Do they regularly provide the type of content that will work best for your business or campaign?
- Engagement – Do they have the level of engagement you’re looking for? (Don’t be blinded by the number of followers or likes – these numbers don’t always reflect their level of engagement.)
Don’t settle on one social media influencer while doing your search. You should also aim to have a short list of at least 3 or 4 influencers you can reach out to.
Paid vs Free Influencers
Before contacting your prospect influencers, it’s important to know what level of compensation you want for your campaign.
There are essentially two types of influencers for promoting businesses: paid influencers and free influencers.
Paid influencers are compensated with money or your product or service in exchange for exposure on their social media channels. This is usually the case for influencers who are more established and those who attract more followers and engagement.
Free influencers, on the other hand, are those whom you provide your product or service for free but with no obligation to promote your business. The hope with these influencers is that they’ll like your product or service enough to promote it organically and naturally on their social media channels.
Approaching Influencers and Proposing Partnerships
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of social media influencers, it’s time to reach out to them and propose a partnership.
Like any other business proposal, the key to successfully reaching out to your prospect influencer is doing your research and providing a compelling case for doing business with you.
Propose to provide your product or service in exchange for exposure on their social media channels. Make sure to also provide details of your business and what you offer them and their followers. If you’re willing to pay for exposure, then make sure you also include your budget in your proposal.
Remember that you’ll often have to negotiate with your prospects to land a deal that makes sense for both sides. Once you’ve agreed on a deal, set your terms on a contract to finalise the details of your campaign.
Influencer Marketing: A Powerful Tool or Trendy Trap?
There’s no question that influencer marketing is a powerful and potentially game-changing tool in today’s social media-driven world. With that said, if you don’t use it correctly, then you could end up with wasted resources and missed opportunities.
With the Australian fitness industry continuing to grow (with no signs of slowing down) and social media already a part of our everyday lives, there’s no doubt that finding the right social media influencers can do wonders for your business.
If you work with the right influencers and provide the content your audience wants, then you could boost your business to new heights with influencer marketing – just make sure you do it right!
Need more help taking your fitness business to the next level? Contact us to find out more about using the right technologies to simplify and grow your business.